At long last


I think the sun was just as happy as my heart this morning, it's rise like a celebration. 


Today is the day that Bev comes home to me. My family and I have spent countless hours, tears, and endured frustration and failures, but she finally has a place to come to back in Illinois, and today she journeys home. She's been away for far too long. August 31, 2017 will mark 10 years since that fateful day. Anyone who has frequented this blog in the past and still visits every now and then will appreciate the significance of this news, and to you, I thank you for continuing to hold my mom in your heart. I know it's been years since I've given you an update, and for that I am sorry. Life has kept me busy, and honestly I haven't had the courage to post about my repeated failed attempts to relocate her back here-- I have struggled with feelings of immense guilt and shame over this, having allowed my own life, and also my deficient coping mechanisms, to impede those efforts time and again. It is true that finding a place for her here has not been an easy task due to her specific circumstances, but it is also true that my efforts have been more intermittent than I care to admit. The combination has resulted in a long delay which I sincerely regret. But, if this entire journey has taught me anything, it is that no matter what has happened, we have to keep moving forward. And so, today begins a new chapter in the story.

At long last.

Comments

larthur said…
Dearest Amanda-

You have so little to reproach yourself for. You're so gorgeous, generous, compassionate, and loving. You have always done your very best for your Mom & she would have been the first to hug you and applaud you for all that you've accomplished personally & professionally. As a Mom now you know how selfless you're willing to be-- this is the gift your Mom gave & gives you. As you said her injuries meant that you couldn't bring her home without a special place. We all wanted that to be different but it wasn't to be. This is the right time and right place so it's happening. let's focus on the joy of that and as you say move forward. Sending lots of love to you and your Mom. Hurrah!

Popular Posts