Bad Jujus

Hi friends,

I started out my day walking through mud again, but somehow I got myself out of bed, even did a little housework (okay, I won't lie, I only cleaned out the litterbox and swept a bit), and went over to the hospital with Pam. Mom was lookin' good, her "devil horn" was out (aka her ICP monitor) which is great! The ICP numbers had been so consistently good and normal they decided it was time to take it out. However, there was a mixup with the MRI appointment (she had to get the ICP monitor out before the MRI), so she didn't get her MRI today but it will be tomorrow morning instead. So she still hasn't gotten to lose the cervical collar, but that'll come. It's a little weird not being able to stare at the ICP number all the time, but I have faith in her doctors. She has been started on two broad-spectrum antibiotics (Vancomycin and Cefazidime) as they don't know what organisms (or bad jujus) they're dealing with as far as the infection, or where it is originating. They have sent various cultures, and once they figure out the organism, they can narrow it down to an antibiotic specifically to treat that organism. So far she hadn't been symptomatically infected at all - no fevers or anything before they started the antibiotics, which is usually the first sign of infection. Hopefully this means they caught it early, and the Infectious Diseases doctor was in asking questions about her medical history and such, so they seem on top of it.

After lunch, Pam and I headed to Best Buy and as Lilly mentioned I picked up an IPod docking station so we could play mom some music. Lilly and I spent quite awhile at her bedside talking to her and to each other and playing her some music (her favorite Yo Yo Ma). She was definitely more responsive today than ever before, which was encouraging and nice to see. Her left hand has always just moved as one unit before, but today she was moving individual fingers, which was cool to see.

After dinner, I headed back to say goodnight and spend a bit more time with mom. Kari B met me at the hospital, which was very sweet and gave me the biggest hug. Lori N also stopped by with a nice treat, a few big hugs and some words of encouragement. Kari and I headed upstairs, and were hanging out with her for a bit. She wasn't doing much moving because it was right around her normal bedtime so she was sleepy. As I was touching her face, I noticed it felt really warm, but the rest of her body felt cool. I mentioned it to her nurse who agreed, and took her temp. It was 101.9, not good - here come the symptoms of infection. The nurse gave her a dose of Tylenol and we put some icepacks around her head. Kari and I got some cool washclothes and wiped her face, hands, arms and feet and just prayed for her fever to go down. Her poor cheeks and lips were so rosy, which normally would have made me happy, but it was because she was so warm. After about 30 minutes of the ice and washclothes, the nurse took her temp again and it was on its way down (100.9) thank goodness. She can only have the Tylenol every 6 hours or so, but she's already on antibiotics so not much else can be done. Her blood sugar went up some too, and at first we thought it was because her IV that she was getting the insulin drip through appeared a bit red and so we thought maybe not working so well. They switched the insulin to a different line, and rechecked the blood sugar a little while later, but it was still high, so they may have to give her a little extra insulin to get it back under control.

Let me tell you, it was really hard to leave her tonight being so worried about her fever and her blood sugar. I had to literally tear myself away, but I know I left her in capable hands. If I could have, I would have crawled right into bed with her and wiped her face and hands and feet all night. I love her so much - we're connected at the heart strings. But I must have faith in her strength and her potential. And of course, please keep praying and loving now more than ever. I love you all for loving her.

Comments

Sam said…
Amanda, you are such an amazing daughter and woman. Each beautiful post you write is full of such love and hope and strength. I know your mom is fighting so hard to get better and your love and support are helping her tremendously. Hang in there and keep doing what you've been doing. You're constantly in my thoughts. Love, Sam xo
CP said…
Dear Amanda,

It's terrible to hear what happened but so beautiful and inspiring to see your wonderful relationships with your Mom, your cousin and friends. Your mother and you have so much love around you! She'll be reading this blog soon enough when she's better.

PLEASE let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Yours, Christine Park
Amanda-
I just read your latest entry. You are amazing. You have so much love, strength, and compassion. All of which is helping your Mom's recovery. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. I will see you tonight after work:)
Love, Jillian
Unknown said…
Amanda~
No thank yous needed for the other day. Please dont worry about it!! Call me if you need anything or if you need to borrow my car or something!
Natalie M said…
Amanda,

Just wanted to check in and see how you were. I love reading your blog, it gives me lots to do besides patient care!! So if you need any company let me know......Jillian says I'm allowed to come back!! Also I'm bringing my car back on Thursday night if you need it.
Anonymous said…
Hi Amanda, I'm a student of Mrs. Longo over at Coyne American Institute. I just want to let you know that your mom is a very strong women (as if you don't know that already) before you know it she'll be back to her youngself again. You are doing really great dealing with the situation that you have been dealt with. Keep the faith. We all love Mrs. Longo over here, and I myself send her best wishes. Stay strong Amanda
Anonymous said…
All her students here at Coyne would just like you to know she is in all our prayers. We all ask about her condition daily and know that these things do take time. She spoke of nothing else but her beloved daughter Amanda, and feel like we know you a little bit. We know she is fighting hard mainly for you Amanda and we hope and pray for the best. Stay strong and keep the faith, and if you need anything please feel free to ask.
Anonymous said…
Amanda,
You remain in my thoughts and prayers every day. You have been so strong throughout this whole ordeal and I know your mom can hear your constant words of encouragement every day. If your mom is half as strong as you are she will keep fighting each day and get through this.
Let me know if you need anymore help moving...I am here for you!
Much love,
Jennie
Anonymous said…
Amanda,
You remain in my thoughts and prayers every day. You have been so strong throughout this whole ordeal and I know your mom can hear your constant words of encouragement every day. If your mom is half as strong as you are she will keep fighting each day and get through this.
Let me know if you need anymore help moving...I am here for you!
Much love,
Jennie
Hope said…
Hey sweetie,
see you tomorrow. Hang in there. Love you,
Aunt Betty said…
Hey Amanda + Lilly, great idea to do the music......she really loves that YoYoMa........got her fingers going! you know we're with you........thanks to all
Anonymous said…
Hello Amanda,
You and your Mama are in my heart, thoughts and prayers throughout every single day.
Many people from the Allina Clinic in MN, tell me daily that they are thinking much about Bev and that they are praying for her.
What an awesome, amazing circle of friends Bevy has made! She has impacted soo many lives, including mine. I wish soo badly I could be there right now. I am working on that =)
My parents also send their thoughts and prayers. My Mom has sat thru many wonderful stories about Bev, especially when I had the privaledge to work with her.
You truely are a peach..... hang in there sweet pea! =)
Love, Jeannie
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Unknown said…
Amanda, I LOVE the King Tut picture! Your mom has such spirit, and it is shining through day by day as she recovers, too. Your strength, support, and endless love for your mom is truly making the difference in every one of her baby steps! Lots of prayers and well wishes~
love, Kelly

Popular Posts