Keepin' busy

Hi Friends,

So, I was very successful today with getting going...I got up and without even sitting down at all first and hanging around, I cleaned the bathroom and the cat box! Then I answered a couple emails, jumped in the shower, and got going! :) I was proud of myself.

Got down to RIC and mom was already up in her chair hanging out. We chatted for a bit and did a little walking around to build up an appetite, and then had a nice lunch together...she ate well once again...she's really coming along with that. After lunch, we took another nice walk around the unit. To make it more fun, and to get into a rhythm, we sang "We're off to see the wizard..." while walking. She LOVED it, and she remembered every single word. :) It really made it more fun than just walking around regularly, and she did really well with taking long strides and not scuffing her right foot. We also sang "We're in the army now..." which is another good one to get the rhythm. Then she came with me to the computer room and we responded to a couple more emails. At 3pm, we went down to the 9th floor for the "open recreation" activities...we ended up being the only ones there, but that's okay. We painted a wooden picture frame with some pretty colors of paint...I thought a little art activity would be good.

After that, we went back upstairs and chatted and walked and watched football (again...for some reason, she doesn't mind football these days, and really pays attention...she used to hate watching sports on tv...she listens to the commentator and actually repeats it, reacts to plays, and I make her pick the team she wants to root for). Around 4pm, she had done so well and I'd been working her so hard that I let her lie down for a little while before dinner. I ran over to the grocery store and got some bananas, pears, a tangerine, a couple yogurts (one a soy yogurt), some goat cheese and some of that really heavy, thin bread to spread the goat cheese on.

When I got back, it was about 5pm and the nurse came in to check her blood sugar before dinner (her sugars have been pretty good!). Then I got her back up, and we walked to dinner in the dining room. She ate well again, including half a banana (we shared it), the soy yogurt, some goat cheese on bread, some black olives out of my salad, all of her turkey they gave her, half her zucchini, etc. I am definitely glad she's eating yogurt and such, because I get afraid she's not getting enough calcium. I am going to keep having her eat fresh fruit, and I'll get some veggies to bring too...much better than what they give her.

After dinner, I kept her up awhile longer...we walked some more, and then we watched some more tv in the dining room and laughed and joked around. Around 8pm, we went back and got ready for bed, and I left around 8:30 or so. She did great today with staying up and me working her hard...I'm very pleased and proud. Gotta keep building up that endurance! :) Thanks all for your continued love and support. Peace.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Amanda,

Sounds like things are moving right along. I'm glad Mom is finding her sense of rhythm....and spirits are high. Peace and love to you both.
Tracy
Anonymous said…
Manda, This probably sounds silly but I'm so glad they let you bring in food for her like fruits and goat cheese and stuff, remember how I always used to tease you about gourmet food?? I know she wouldn't be happy to just eat the food from there!! Love jenn
Anonymous said…
Hi Amanda,
It's Kari Kurto's Mom here, Carol. Kari has shared with me the news of your mom's accident and has sent me your blog. I wanted to send my best wishes to you and your Mom as you go through these difficult times. The pictures you have sent are absolutely beautiful and I can't believe that neither of you have changed much at all from the lst time I saw both of you which had to be a least 10 years ago in Saratoga. It is wonderful that you and Kari have remained friends although miles have separated you over the last decade. I am so impressed with the patience and diligence you are exhibiting with your mom during this difficult period. I'm sure your mom appreciates everything you are doing. I wanted to wish both of you a pleasant and Happy Thnksgiving and I continue to pray for a speedy recovery for Bev. With her undying spirit, I'm sure she will recover and be that same enthusiastic, talented person she was in the past. I hope you keep your spirits and energy level up
and I will continue to send caring thoughts to both of you. Keep up the good work. I think of you often. Cheers!Carol Kurto

Popular Posts