Rome wasn't built in a day

Hi Friends,

Today was a good day, I guess. Got up fairly early and did laundry this morning, and then got ready and went down to RIC and spent a bit of time before I had to go do my CPR recertification. Thank goodness it didn't last as long as it was scheduled to, and I got it out of the way. Grabbed a quick bite to eat, and then spent the afternoon with mom.

When I got there, she was just finishing up with Michelle for speech therapy, and today they did some testing of her language, speech, and comprehension. They weren't really able to do any testing when mom first got to RIC, but now that her attention span has improved greatly and she's actively participating and all that, they were able to. She's got a long way to go in terms of her speech and language....that is clearly the area that has been most affected by her injury. Michelle said that because there wasn't one localized area of injury, mom doesn't really fit into any one category as far as aphasia is concerned...I guess there are different kinds of aphasia, like Broca's aphasia or global aphasia to name a couple, each stemming from an injury to a different part of the brain (I guess)...but the tests she administered to mom help her to focus her therapies a bit better, which is good. I wish she'd done a bit better on the tests, but that's what speech therapy is for I suppose.

I have also been doing some research about the cranioplasty surgery because I am so afraid of it (it's brain surgery, for goodness' sake), and have found several different studies that show that once the bone flap is replaced and the brain's natural pressurization is restored, it can actually improve the speech and language areas and aid in the rehab process in many patients. That said, mom has an official date of sugery...December 10th...now I have two dates that I am waiting to get through...the discharge from RIC date of November 30th and that. I'm gonna need all the support and love I can get during these times, because I'm really scared.

Anyway, once speech was done, mom and I went back to her room and listened to some music...there is one particular song that we listened to a few times that she has always loved and still clearly does...it's called "Dry Your Tears Afrika" and is from the "Amistad" movie soundtrack. It's a beautiful, inspiring, heart-lifting and hopeful song, and it brought us both to tears a few different times. What really got me was that about the third time we played it, mom started harmonizing to it and singing the words (which incidentally are in Afrikaan)...her ability to enjoy some of the finer things in life, like music which she has always loved, is untouched, and I thank God for that. That absolutely fills my heart with joy to share this with her, and I vow to always keep music in her life. In fact, as soon as I finish writing this, I am going to put some Christmas music, including the Hallelujah Chorus from the Messiah (a particular favorite), on my iPod and we're going to listen to it together tomorrow. One of our favorite things to do around Christmas is play the Hallelujah Chorus over and over and over and sing along...she sings the alto part and I sing the soprano part. In fact, last year we bought two copies of the score of the Messiah and were going to go to the "Do It Yourself Messiah" here in Chicago, but I was sick all over the holidays and we weren't able to go because I couldn't sing. How I regret that now, since we won't probably be able to go this year either. There's always next year though, I have to remember that.

I sat with mom during dinner, but didn't eat because I planned to meet Pam at 6pm for dinner. She did great as usual, and we laughed and joked and had a good time. When I left, mom was up in her chair hanging out in the dining room, and I went to meet Pam and we had dinner. At dinner, I got a fortune cookie and the fortune was: "Rome wasn't built in a day. Be patient." Wow, how fitting, eh? You can be sure I saved it, and will try to keep looking at it to remind myself of this important message. Anyway, Pam gave me a ride home, but before we left downtown, I stopped at work and picked up the wonderful pot roast and veggies that Doyle made for me and the turkey chili and rice that Candy made for me...thanks so much ladies!!! How wonderful to have some good home-cooked food without having to do it myself! :)

Now to put some music on the iPod and then go to bed. Please keep sending your love and support, I need it. Thank you all.

Comments

Popular Posts